Battery compartment (again) and Sourcing parts

Since last time I have changed the banana contact on the lid to a smaller gold plated version. This removes all the plastic-plastic contact that could cause problems when gluing. Yes, I’ve changed my mind regarding gluing. It turns out that gluing high-end plastics is a really tricky business and plastic-plastic is harder than plastic-metal.…

Thinking about usability

Since last time I’ve thought a lot about usability. The main discussion point is how to implement two different power-settings, where one is variable. Should I have a knob? Should it not be variable during the dive, but merely accept switching settings? How much should the diver be able to do during a dive? What…

Rethinking battery compartment

To begin with I’ve looked at other batteries to make sure that I was making a good choice with 18650 batteries. Luckily it turns out it’s the most efficient way to pack as much power into the canister as possible. I’ve chosen batteries, after reading some battery tests, and the winner for me was the…

Figuring out target metrics

I’ve thought a bit more on how to store the batteries in the canister and I’ll briefly talk about the pros and cons that I see with the different solutions I’ve seen or come up with. There are two issues. The lid which closes of the battery compartment should be removable, this means there needs…

Initial research

As I have not owned my own torch I knew very little of what a properties a good torch had. My initial research started with browsing the web and visiting my local dive shop, Oceanic Tech. Some very nice threads and homepages were found, which showed what was on the market and what people have…

Foreword to the project

Since my admission to the 3 ECTS course Mechanical Workshop Practice at my University I’ve tried to find a worthwhile project to sink my teeth into. The course only has 48 spots a year, with drawing of lots for the admission. My own wants with the project were and are To have a worthwhile object…